Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Blog Evolution

This is not really about training - but, considering the marathon will be over in a month, I figured I'll need something else to talk about on this blog...so, we'll start with this.  

I gave up processed foods for Lent - (well, not ENTIRELY, I still allow whole wheat flour and cocoa powder - I mean the goal of Lent is not to ACTUALLY die.).


The point here, is that almost a week in, I feel pretty darned good.  Granted, this is one of those Lenten "give-ups" that I'd just as soon "give-up" for good.  So, maybe we can call it a test run.


Things I've noticed:



  1. Shopping takes longer when you read the labels
  2. Applesauce made with just 1 ingredient (apples) costs more than applesauce made with apples + 4 ingredients (corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup, water, ascorbic acid)
  3.  I get really mad when I go into the grocery stores that make it easier to buy the "healthy" food (not naming names, here), because I see how expensive things are, and realize there are a lot of people for whom it's just not feasible.  
So, aside from the internal dialog I have about the need for better access to healthier food choices for lower income people, this new lifestyle seems to be going pretty well - and even that is not so bad, I mean - we SHOULD be thinking about that kind of thing. 

I even found a couple of good recipes to help with my sweet tooth!  This is from the blog "My Wholefood Life"

Peanut Butter Cup Granola

3 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup peanut butter (for a peanut free option, click here.)
1/4 cup applesauce
3 T coco powder
1/3 cup maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla
2 T non dairy milk
Preheat oven to 330. Mix all the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Mix the wet into a small bowl. You may have to microwave the peanut butter to soften it enough to stir. Add the wet to dry. Spread mixture onto a lined baking pan and bake for 15 minutes. Pull the pan out and move the granola around a bit. Place back in the oven and bake for another 10 minutes. Serve with milk or sprinkle over plain yogurt. If you are feeling extra feisty, you can sprinkle a few chocolate chips in.

The plan is to continue to regale you all with my running prowess, but also throw in some fun things about this food journey. I started off this whole food process weighing in at 142 lbs (last Monday) - yeah, I said it. Don't judge. This Monday, I was down to 140! I had been complaining that all that running wasn't shedding a single pound. Turns out, it probably was...it's just that the nabs for breakfast may have been finding the pounds as soon as I lost them.

Looking forward to sharing more successes!  This week is gonna be hard!  40 miles of running...and NO snickers bars!



1 comment:

  1. Whole foods rock, healthy lifestyles rock, and You rock. :) Coincidence? I think not.

    ReplyDelete